Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Wednesday Tales: The Palace Of Laughter (No.1)

Book I\

Author: Jon Berkeley 
Rating: 3/6

This is a story about a young orphan, Miles Wednesday. He lives in a barrel with his stuffed bear, Tangerine, which lives in his coat pocket. Miles decides to attend a circus show one day which shows up in his town, when he meets an unusual little girl with wings. The girl is called 'Little". One thing leads to another and after Miles rescues Little from the perils of the circus, they embark on a journey to rescue Little's friend and Miles's bear, who have both been captured by the circus. Their journey brings them countless adventurous encounters including riding on a talking tiger.

Okay, there are two ways to look at this story:
1. You are insanely imaginative and are into this sort of stuff...you know, talking tigers; flying little girls, etc.
2. You are not insanely into this sort of stuff but however, you entertain it sometimes.

I fall into the second category. I was honestly disappointed by this book. You want to know why? I read it for two whole months, that's why! For the first time, I made excuses to put down a book and take a nap...for two months! I'm not saying it's a terrible read. No. In fact, the storyline is quite good and the author articulates his words in a rather commendable manner. It started off with a bang! and I was really hyped with all the suspense and what not...but aye, as it continued it just went downhill (the hype). I think though that there was no zoosh! as it continued. It did not spark my interest. Too much was happening and it was over-exaggerated. Again, this is probably just a matter of taste though. Some people (like me) hate onions, while others eat them like an apple (this is relevant, right?). 
Anywho, what I'm trying to say is, if you are a die hard adventure-fantasy loving reader; then this is for you. If you aren't, then I suggest you don't waste your money on buying book no.2.

So does Ziggie recommend this one? Err...if you must!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are always appreciated! :)